Thursday 9 December 2010

The Second Saga: Part Two
The cold and very stony silence was finally broken by Oggin, who thought he’d better say something, before he needed to get a coat.
“So....er....Nitaa....what can I...I mean we....er...do for you....?”
“I fought you was da middin man...”
“The midden man...?”
“Yeah....da middin man...”
“You thought I was the, midden man...”
“Yeah...da middin man...da one wot clears da drains.....didn’ I...”
“And do you need the midden clearing....?”
“Nah....I wants a new’nn puttin’ in....don’ I...”
“A new midden...?”
“Yeah...das wot I said...din’t I...”
“Er is the original midden faulty....?”
“Nah...it ain’t foughty....it ain’t big e’nuff is it....I wan’s anovver wun for me girls...don’ I....”
Oggin glanced back at Kajoa, who by now was leaning on the door post, her head to one side, listening intently. Her expression had softened very slightly but there was still a hint of suspicion playing around her eyes.
“Your girls.....right....er...how many girls is that....?”
“I sposse ders abaght twenney....mebe twennyfive...trouble is wen one gets arrt dey alwis comes back wiv a belly fool of arms an legs....don’ ay...”
Oggin’s mind had now flipped into ‘panic setting’ as he tried to take in what she was saying and what it meant.
“Well...er ...Nitaa...the...er ...problem is the weather...what with the cold and such.....Digging out a new midden at this time of year is a...well...sort of big undertaking...it’ll take at least three men...and it’ll take a bit of time too...”
“Well....can ya do it or nort....?
“I should think so....but...well...to be honest...it’s going to cost a lot of coin...”
“Tha’snot a wowey....you git yer arse arrt to my place soon as ya can an I’ll show ya wot I wants an den we kin sort aught da coin den.....Okay....?”
“That’ll be fine....I’ll find the labour I’ll need first...not everybody wants to work during the cold season...but it shouldn’t be a big problem....”
As he spoke Nitaa was putting her coat back on and Oggin again caught a whiff of her strange perfume and heard a stifled sneeze from Kajoa. Oggin stood aside to let Nitaa passed and she looked up to give Kajoa a smile that could freeze water as she left the room, Kajoa on the other hand, looked almost smug.
As he shut the door behind his newest employer, Oggin half turned and lent on the wall and let out a long breath. Kajoa spoke first.
“Thas a weirdo....an’ nae mistake...d’ya ken tha coat she hod on....?”
“Yes...it was knitted out of fur....did you see her eyes.....?”
“Aye....ah deed.....mind we yon outfit she wass wearin’....ya could see wot she’d had fer breakfast an’ all....!”
Oggin turned to Kajoa and both burst out laughing at the same time and headed off toward the kitchen. Oggin sat at the table and Kajoa put down two mugs of tea and sat opposite him. The tension of the meeting with Nitaa had passed and a warm silence settled on the room. Kajoa spoke first.
“See thas a big job ye are takin on Oggin....an’ nae bugger oure hiss dog wans tae work in this weather...ya ken...”
“True my love...true....but I was gabbin’ with old Ted in the pub...he reckons the weavers in Greedle’s old place have got seven kids and two of them are big strappin’ lads, so they might well be glad of the work...and the coin...”
“Aye...ya mak a fair point...but youse heed ma Oggin....I dinna trust yon woman....there’s summit no right aboot her.....”
“Well she surly gives me the willies too....but needs must my flower....needs must...”
“Aye right enough hen...right enough....Wiel....are ye gonna spend awe day we yer ugly feet unner ma table or git oot an see yon weaver....?”
“Right you are my little Rose bud.....right you are...” he replied with a sigh.
Oggin rose and went to his room for an over coat, he chose the old ‘pikka’ he’d had for years. It was green once but was now covered in brown patches, sown over the many rips and tears it had gained in its long life. Its chief benefits were its hood and thick padding and even on Oggin, it came down to well below his knees. His legs felt the cold in this weather, rather more than he cared to mention. Suitably dressed, he made his way outside. The snow had stopped falling and the village was now dressed in a smooth covering of deep, white, softness, in the silence it had taken on a beauty that was seldom seen by very many. With no indications of anybody being about, the only real signs of life were the columns the smoke drifting skyward from all the cottage chimneys. The snow clouds had left a clear blue sky and a bright sun but the cold was still there in the fresh, tranquil air, Oggin could see his own breath forming tiny clouds as he made his way to Greedle the Bronze’s old home.
In truth, this was the first real visit Oggin had made to this place since the happenings of that night in the Warm Season. It seemed like all that had happened many seasons ago but it wasn’t really that long since. Oggin approached the gate way, the big iron gate was gone, in its place a plain ‘five bar’ gate was propped against the posts. He paused to look into the former front garden, remembering it as it was before. Weeds and grass had moved in to take over the ground, all signs of the statues were gone, even the plinths on which they once stood. On one side of the garden he could see a very friendly looking donkey, tethered to the ground by a long rope. It was munching on a fresh pile of vegetables but raised its head in curiosity, ears pointing forward, to stare back. Oggin called out in a loud voice.
“Hello the house...I am Oggin the Ogg....I would speak with you about an offer of some work...!”
After a moment a tall man came out of the door and stood, hands in pockets.
“I’da be Bob Weaver...Head of this ‘ouse....or so my wife tells me....you’m come on in then Oggin the Ogg......work’s all’iss welcum ‘ere...!”

No comments:

Post a Comment