Friday 5 August 2011

3rd Saga

Part Two

Oggin and Bob arrived at Bob’s gate and shook hands.
“I’da wish ee luck Oggin boy, Tha’ Boog is a bit tricky minded, I reckons….”
“True Bob…but I think even she will see the sense of the arrangement…well, I hope so anyways…”
With a final wave, Oggin set off for the short walk to the cottage of Tookie the Boog. He knew from past experience that Tookie could be a bit of a handful, in fact she seemed to prefer it that way. As he approached he let out an almost audible sigh, he saw the shapely and swaying rear of Tookie, sashaying off toward the village. With luck, he thought, that would only leave H’rsh to deal with. So not quite as bad, after all.
He advanced toward the front door and reached up to knock. It was then he noticed the knocker had been replaced by a large, polished brass model of a “gentleman’s parts”. He recollected having seen it before, on the now ‘missing’ front door of Greedle the Bronze. So Tookie had ignored his advice and must have risked going back, to scavenge what she could. Ignoring the knocker, he rapped on the door and waited. A thin weedy voice came from inside.
“Who iss dat….make yer’sel known…afore I puts da dog on yous…”
This was followed by a very poor imitation of a dog barking.
“H’rsh the Boog…it’s me, Oggin the Ogg….I have come to speak to you…”
The door opened a few inches and the myopic H’rsh peeped out, eyes narrowed behind her thick lenses.
“Iss dat yer’sel Oggin….?
“It is H’rsh…really…look…”
He leaned in toward the little face and smiled. The smile was immediately returned as the little Boog recognised him, flung open the door and rushed forward to hug the stuffing out of him!
A muffled voice came from somewhere around his belly.
“Oggin….Oggin…tis that glad I am te see yers…tis seasons since I seed ya last so it is….”
Oggin gently pushed H’rsh away and held her at arm’s length by the shoulders. He could see tears in her eyes and a twinge of sadness bit into his heart.
“Would you have some tea brewing…I’m fair parched you know…”
“I do...so I have…would you loike a mug…tis fresh made so it is…”
“That would be very nice…very nice indeed…shall I go round to the back garden…seein’ as it’s so nice...we could have our tea and a bit of a chat…”
“Indeed an’ dat sounds jus grand te me…youse go on round…der’s a bench fer sittin’ on an’ all…I’ll be just a minute, so I will…”
With a smile, a wink and a sideways nod, Oggin left the Boog to close the door and made his way to the back garden. At once he could see the little woman had been working her magic once again. Almost the whole garden was a riot of colour and scent. Butterflies and Bees flitted and buzzed their way from bloom to bloom in a ceaseless, workaholic display of eagerness. Even the small and tidy vegetable patch was inter sown with tiny blue flowers to mark out the rows. He could now see why the midden had not needed his attentions for a very long time. A small wooden bench lay to one side and at once Oggin recognised Bob Weaver’s handiwork. He sat and wondered at the life the little Boog must be leading, busy by all means but was she still as happy as she used to be. His musings were interrupted by H’rsh as she appeared from the back door. On a tray, were two mugs of steaming tea and a small plate of biscuits. Oggin suddenly remembered the oat cakes, still in his shirt pocket but was a polite man, so kept quiet.
“Dare ye are Oggin…tis Dandelion an’ Camomile…an’ dem’s is Buttercup softies…”
Oggin took a mug and a biscuit, he sniffed the ‘tea’ and as it smelt fine he took a sip, it was unusual but still very palatable. The biscuits had tiny yellow flecks, which Oggin guessed, wrongly, were the Buttercups H’rsh had mentioned. A nibble proved to be a riot of taste. Sweet, sour and another flavour which he couldn’t place, very nice and he guessed they would be moreish too. This time he was right. H’rsh took a seat beside him and beamed a huge smile his way.
“Oggin…tis that pleased I am ta see youse…so I am…”  
“It’s nice to see you too H’rsh….but tell me, you seem a little down in the dumps….is there anything wrong…?”
“Tis this place Oggin….between da little folk an’ dat Tookie…well tis not as fair as it was…to be sure….don take me wrong loike…I feeds an’ I works well enough loike….but I has no time to ma’ sell…de ye see whit I’m sayin’….”
“I think so H’rsh…I think so…you miss your old life…don’t you…”
“Aye…I does an’ all…t’was fine at first loike…bit of a adventure loike…but I sore misses havin’ me own place roite enough so I does….”
“Well in that case, I may have some news to lift your sprits a bit…”

Oggin slowly explained about the death of Janice the Farmer, the Testament and the meeting he had had with Nina, The Wolf Woman and Bob Weaver. How they had decided that she, H’rsh the Boog was the best person to look after the cottage and the orchard on behalf of Nina. As he spoke, he watched as the Boog’s eyes widened and then start to fill with tears, which trickled down her sun browned little face. At length, he paused and asked.
“Well…H’rsh the Boog…will you take the offer….?”
H’rsh blinked behind her thick glasses and swallowed hard before croaking a reply.
“Oh my goodness…I….I don’t know what to say te ya…I…I…Yes Oggin…Yes, yes, yes….please….yes please…oh my goodness…”
Oggin put out his hand and gently held one of hers, she was trembling. He looked in her eyes, smiled at her and said.
“I’m so happy for you….and really glad to know you’ll be doing what you do best…tending to the growing life of Ogg….Now, you’ve to move as soon as you can. The orchard is in real need of your tender care, if the Papples are to be ready for the brew in good time. Just you let Bob Weaver and his boys know when you’re ready to move and he’ll see that you get some help…”
“Oh Oggin…how will I ever thank you fer dis…tis won’erful so it is…”
“Just do what you do Little H’rsh…grow and tend the land…make us proud of you….Now I’d best be going…Thanks for the tea and biscuits…you go and start packing…Another chapter in your life will start soon enough…”
Oggin stood and H’rsh once again gave him one of her ‘bone crushing’ hugs before he set off home. He crossed the green and caught sight of Tookie the Boog, laden with shopping, on her way home too. He still had a slight lump in the throat at H’rsh’s reaction to his news but he knew Tookie would not be as pleased. He was about two thirds of the way when the Dandelion tea ‘kicked in’ and he had a sudden and very desperate need to pass water. He quickened his step but that produced a whole new sensation in his lower stomach. The Buttercup Biscuits were now working….Fast!
So buttocks clenched and eyes wide, with very small steps he hurried as best he could, straight to his midden box….only just in time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment